"snake oil" exact phrase
votes:4 posts with 4+ votes
created:<1w created < 1 week ago
post_type:xxxx type of post
Search help
Notifications
Mark all as read See all your notifications »
Q&A

Comments on Help! I found a lost dog - what do I do next?

Parent

Help! I found a lost dog - what do I do next?

+6
−0

I was working today when I saw a small dog run across the road in front of my apartment, narrowly being missed by a car. I went out and lured the dog in with a hotdog, brought her to my apartment, and gave her some water. She is groomed and has trimmed nails, so she's clearly someone's pet.

What should my next steps be to make sure she gets home safely?

History
Why does this post require moderator attention?
You might want to add some details to your flag.
Why should this post be closed?

0 comment threads

−5
I found a lost dog

Probably not. Nothing in your description suggests the dog was actually lost. If dogs are supposed to be on leash in your particular area, then the dog got out somehow. That doesn't mean it's lost, though. The vast majority of dogs that get out when they aren't supposed to, come back on their own, especially when it's time to get fed.

what do I do next?

Nothing, at least in most cases. Others have already explained what to do when a dog is truly lost or really needs to be identified. However, in most cases, bringing the dog into your home only makes things worse. The dog then won't be able to go home on its own, and the owners that might be out looking for it won't find it.

About the only time what you did is justified is if the dog is in obvious danger. This would include if it wanders onto a road seemingly unfamiliar with avoiding cars, looks malnourished, the weather might put the dog in danger, etc.

Otherwise, leave the dog where it was, and the situation will most likely resolve itself on its own faster and better than if you intervened.

History
Why does this post require moderator attention?
You might want to add some details to your flag.

2 comment threads

Dog was in danger (2 comments)
Depends VERY much on the dog, should NOT be the default assumption (1 comment)
Dog was in danger
Sigma‭ wrote over 2 years ago

Did you read my post? I said the dog was running across the road and was almost hit by a car. If I lived somewhere rural where a roaming dog would probably be okay that would be one thing, but I live in an apartment next to a busy highway. I see dead pets along the roadside almost every day. You are making a lot of assumptions here about the situation that don't apply.

Olin Lathrop‭ wrote over 2 years ago

As I said, it can be justified to intervene when the dog is in obvious danger. However, that still doesn't mean it was lost. Most likely, the dog knows how to get home.