"snake oil" exact phrase
votes:4 posts with 4+ votes
created:<1w created < 1 week ago
post_type:xxxx type of post
Search help
Notifications
Mark all as read See all your notifications »
Meta

Comments on Advertise Outdoors on The Great Outdoors?

Advertise Outdoors on The Great Outdoors?

+2
−0

Stack Exchange sites that are not beta support community-curated ads. The Great Outdoors is one such site, and obviously there's some support on meta there for this community, so have y'all considered running an ad for Outdoors Codidact on The Great Outdoors SE? You wouldn't be the first Codidact community to do so, but some might react negatively. You know your community (there and here) better than anyone else; I'm raising the question, but what you do about it is up to you.

History
Why does this post require moderator attention?
You might want to add some details to your flag.
Why should this post be closed?

1 comment thread

General comments (2 comments)
General comments
Olin Lathrop‭ wrote almost 4 years ago · edited almost 4 years ago

In all the years I was on Stack Exchange, I never really understood the community promotion ads. I can see why SE would put up advertising, since that's their business. It didn't make sense to me why the community would want to advertise something else. That said, is it really fair to use the mechanism SE has provided to promote their competitors (I expect that's how they will see it)? It feels like like exploiting an accidental loophole.

Monica Cellio‭ wrote almost 4 years ago

@Olin different sites use ads in different ways. Some promote their own community resources, like a blog or question sandbox. Some promote resources the community considers useful to its own community, like reference libraries and tools. If the community here was founded by the community there, then it's not unreasonable to use the mechanism to promote this community. Whether it's a good idea is a question for the people who are/were active there.