Sign Up Sign In

What is this small winged bug with a black spot on its back and dusky colored wings


I just saw this small winged bug out in a prairie would anyone know what kind it is?

Top view

Image alt text

Side view

Image alt text

Why should this post be closed?


1 answer


Non-expert guess here, but I think that's some type of robber fly. Those are predatory flys, generally have the shape you show, and are rather large for flys. There are many species. Even experts can disagree on the exact ones.

Hopefully the term "robber fly" will lead to more information. The geographic location and details of the habitat will help narrow down the species.


Sign up to answer this question »

This site is part of the Codidact network. We have other sites too — take a look!

Want to advertise this site? Use our templates!